Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Sushi Boat

Sushi Boat
3220 Dyer Street
Union City, CA 94587

To be fair, Nancy and I went here back in December and I just found my notes. We haven’t been back since, so that should say something. I believe we both agreed that we would go again, but not really go out of our way to go there, especially since it’s Union City and for that kind of effort, we might as well go to Sushiya in Oakland.

It’s a decent sushi place that is, like most other sushi places, open for lunch a set amount of hours and then open for dinner a set amount of hours. If you’re going at an odd time of day, you probably won’t end up with sushi. I believe they’re open for dinner at 5 or something to that effect. You can either sit at the bar and pick your sushi off the floating boats (much like the conveyer belt sushi places in the Seattle area that I enjoy so much) or you can sit down at a table and order exactly what you want. If you’re a visual eater, I suggest sitting at the bar since there aren’t any pictures in their menu. I like pictures.

We ordered the gyoza to start off with. It was good, but smaller than we’re used to, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. They were extra crispy and served at a good temperature, which is very important to us.

I ordered a wakame salad, which was also good. It had a citrusy taste to it, probably because of a lemon garnish. There wasn’t anything special to it either, but that’s good when it comes to seaweed salads. It really served its purpose.

The miso soup was good because it wasn’t too salty. Finally a place with not so salty miso! You would think that miso would be a pretty basic item, therefore totally predictable, right? I’ve had it at other places and not been able to finish it because of the salt factor. I’ve also had it at other places where they add more unusual things to it, like noodles or potatoes. It’s all fine, but sometimes I just want to good not salty miso soup. By the way, at Sushi Boat, it’s just tofu and seaweed in the soup.

The tea was weak. Drinkable, but weak. Oh, and hot. Very hot.

Nancy had the nigiri combo. The fish was cut thin and the rice pads were small. There wasn’t really anything special or stand out about them. Everything was apparently edible because I don’t remember any comments about sub-par nigiri. I think it was just really average and nigiri needs to be spectacular.

We ordered several rolls, some to share, but mostly indulging my gluttony. Now the problem is that I don’t remember what was in the rolls at this point, but I can sum up my notes. The Simba roll was good and had nice textures. The spicy crab for this roll was served on the side, which was good so you could take as much as you want. The Osaka roll wasn’t anything special, just tuna and spicy sauce. Actually it was forgettable (I have that in my notes!). The Philly roll wasn’t anything special either, although it was only 3 pieces. The 49ers roll was…bright. Very bright. That’s because of the lemon. I actually remember this one. It’s a California roll with lemon and ebi. It was good and fresh, but there was too much tobiko. Waaaayyy too much.

Come to think of it, everything that came with tobiko had too much of it. Someone was a little heavy handed with it. You might want to ask for less of it if you’re not that crazy about it (like me).

Next time we go, we’re going to try the sushi bar, which I suspect would be the better route to go.

No comments: